This was probably much more an exercise in creating interesting backgrounds than painting a flower. Indeed the flower was an afterthought.
[Click on image for larger view in new window]
This was actually one of the earliest paintings I did. I was painting with the acrylic paint undiluted, with quite dry brushes and creating brushstrokes in interesting patterns. (Well, patterns that seemed interesting to me at least.) If you look closely you’ll see where paint has been smudged and even scratched off. A spare cloth proved just as handy for this purpose as a paintbrush.
I can’t quite remember for sure but I think this might have been the first time I used my palette knife with an image.